Photobucket

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Wishes

Photobucket

I have always loved the geometry of dandelion seed puffies. As a child, like any other, I blew on them and watched the seeds fly, sending my wish over hill and dale. I know it made for many, many dandelion plants in my area. How powerful!

Photobucket

This small woofwood tree remained after the large oak was taken down from my yard four years ago. I cried when they came and sawed down the huge monster and hauled it away. This dogwood was left behind, though, tiny then and listing to one side. I tied it to the fence and it is now growing stronger every year. It is here that the bird feeder resides, and many cardinals and finches and, yes, squirrels, come to visit daily. I love the delicately striped blossoms.

Photobucket


Yesterday's goosie patrol showed that Mama Goosie is till sitting on her eggs, which continue to remain intact. I don't know the gestation period for geese, but this seems like a lot longer than any of the other geese in the area. I remain hopeful that within a few days or so, little fuzzy babies will emerge and remain healthy.

We did see Muskrat Sam yesterday too, slipping into the water and swimming to the middle of the pond. He got away too fast for me to click my shutter, and I did not bring my long zoom, but I will try to capture him sometime soon. He is funny and a joy to watch.

Mr. Mallard was sitting there all shiny and green-necked. Lux was perplexed at his presence, and his stalwart behavior, refusing to succumb to her "fierce" barks. He just stared at her and sorta said "Yeah? Make Me!" No, I don't anthropomorphize much, do I? Go ahead, blame Disney. I do.

Oh, yeah...and today I looked at my stats from yesterday.
Welcome first time visitors from Paraguay, Qatar, Brunei and Romania!! Yowza! Global Keen!


Your Daily Dose of Cool Things:

Natural Calm

I use the Raspberry Lemon Natural Calm Plus Calcium nightly. Mixed with hot water this makes a delightful tea which, thank the gawds, has quelled my restless leg syndrome quite nicely, and I am sleeping like the proverbial log. No longer do I wake with my leg yanking away from an imaginary tickle, nor do I feel the tiny electrical storms which ran up and down my legs. Go read up on this stuff. Many people report release from many symptoms related to muscle cramping, tension, and even tummy issues. Magnesium, in conjunction with calcium, is a smooth muscle relaxant. The fact that this makes a clear tea means that some honkin' calcium pill is not lodged somewhere in my digestive tract but is bio-available immediately.



YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL CAMPAIGN

Send away for some stickers NOW, or print your own. While I don't advocate litter, and there is way too much paper in the world, this project is worth the pulp.

"You Are Beautiful is a simple, powerful statement which is incorporated into the over absorption of mass media and lifestyles that are wrapped in consumer culture.

The intention behind this project is to reach beyond ourselves as individuals to make a difference by creating moments of positive self realization. We're just attempting to make the world a little better.

Intention is the most important aspect of the You Are Beautiful project in its idea of purity. Nothing is sacred. Everything that has a perceived value becomes commodified. We work extremely hard that this message is received as a simple act of kindness, and nothing more.

Advertising elicits a response to buy, where this project elicits a response to do something. The attempt with You Are Beautiful is to create activism instead of consumerism.

You Are Beautiful uses the medium of advertising and commercialization to spread a positive message.

Projects like these make a difference in the world by catching us in the midst of daily life and creating moments of positive self realization."


Your Daily Dose of Wonderful Design:


Check out these WAY KEEN airplane seat designs!! (via Dvice)

Soon to be released by Delta, these funky designs are set at a 30 degree angle, affording more privacy and room for travelers. Now you have more space to eat from those teeny tiny pretzel bags they hand out. And, where the hell are the wing pins of old??? I miss those things.


Check out The Real Retro Source!
Authentic imagery from the original creators!


Your Daily Dose of Inspiring Words:



"The wisdom of the heart is here, just now, at any moment. It has always been here, and it is never too late to find it. The wholeness and freedom we seek is our own true nature, who we really are. Whenever we start a spiritual practice, read a spiritual book, or contemplate what it means to live well, we have begun the inevitable process of opening to this truth, the truth of life itself." - Jack Kornfield

Your Daily Dose of Wicked-Good Food:

Mini Corn-cakes with reduced mango nectar glaze
serves 2 (makes 8 small pancakes)

1 egg
1/2 cup fine corn meal or corn flour
1/2 cup AP flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 (+/-) cup non fat milk (depends on the humidity of the day)
pinch salt
1 teaspoon sugar or honey

1 cup mango nectar or juice
1 tablespoon butter or spread
1 tablespoon cornstarch

grapeseed oil to coat pan

Make the sauce first:

In a pan place the juice and reduce by half. Add the cornstarch to a little water to make a slurry and stir it into the reduction. Add butter and stir to make it glossy.

Now for the little corn cakes:

Beat egg and add the milk. Stir in the corn meal and flour, and add the baking powder, salt and sweetener of choice. Add oil to skillet and drop large/heaping spoonfuls of batter onto it, turning as the sheen disappears from the top. Stack and serve draping the sauce on top just before service to avoid the "soggies". Bon Appetite!