Photobucket

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

And Then There Were None...

Lux and I went for our 5 PM Gosling Watch. We rounded the corner and walked to the bank of the pond...The older geese were walking around the banks, or swimming...where were the 2 babies from yesterday???? We walked a little further only to find this:


Both babies had died and were appearing peacefully asleep on the bank. I dropped to my knees with Lux at my side and cried. Hard. It would appear that there was no trauma, as both seem untouched, so perhaps it is disease which has taken the 9 goslings in past few days.

Steps away Mama Goosie still sits on her clutch, now terribly late in arriving. I wonder now if they will ever emerge.


Just next to the babies on the bank I found this tiny group of wildflowers:

I scooped them up and took them home and planted them in my front yard, to bloom every year and remind me of the tender beauty of Spring, of New Life and to honor the geese who tried so very hard to have a family this year.