Photobucket

Monday, May 26, 2008

What a day...

It is positively gorgeous here today. I am currently sitting in the shade in the back yard with Lux at my feet all dopey on Benadryl and gnawing on a chewie. She is enjoying the breezes, and hobbles over to the other side of the yard from time to time, limping awfully, wincing and whining. Her paw must hurt terribly. We did a block-walk just a bit ago, and she made it all the way around the block, but barely. I keep stuffing her toys with tidbits and distracting her from nibbling...I had to take off the cone; the humiliation was intolerable. At least for a few hours or so, while I am right by her to dissuade her from noshing on bandage. In the meantime, I have found some very Keen things for you to look at:



Your Daily Dose of Cool Things:



Photoshop keyboard skins from Photojojo


I dunno about you, but while my photoshop skills ARE growing, it sure would be keen to have a visual cue to the keyboard shortcuts. Take a look-see at this. I think it is well worth the money if you spend much time doing post-production processing or graphic design.





La Bottine Souriante

One of my all-time favorite bands. I try to see them whenever they show up in town here, which is often at the Lowell Folk Festival. If you are a fan of traditional music, specifically Quebecois music, you must find out more about them.



Your Daily Dose of Wonderful Design:

Nifty Blender Lamp How-To (via Instructables.com)


Your Daily Dose of Inspiring Words:


Lies I've told my 3 year old recently

Trees talk to each other at night.

All fish are named either Lorna or Jack.

Before your eyeballs fall out from watching too much TV, they get very loose.

Tiny bears live in drain pipes.

If you are very very quiet you can hear the clouds rub against the sky.

The moon and the sun had a fight a long time ago.

Everyone knows at least one secret language.

When nobody is looking, I can fly.

We are all held together by invisible threads.

Books get lonely too.

Sadness can be eaten.

I will always be there.

from Raul at http://www.mexicanpictures.com/headingeast/


Your Daily Dose of Wicked-Good Food:


Lentil Soup Extraordinare


1 quart broth (I used organic turkey I had in the freezer, you can use veggie broth or whatever works for you best)
3 cups addtional water
2 tablespoons oil (I used walnut)
2 medium onions
1/2 small bag baby carrots or 3 medium carrots diced
1 medium sweet potato diced
1 to 2 chicken sausages (I used the organic chicken/garlic ones from Whole Foods, these are optional, of course)
1/2 bag lentils
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon ground cumin
optional: 3 tablespoons nut butter (I used cashew)
sea salt to taste


Cook the onion, carrot and sweet potato in the oil until just tender. Add the broth, remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30-40 minutes. Serve with steamed Jasmine, brown or basmati rice.