Photobucket

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Ow, Ow, Ow...

My kennel!! I have the structure assembled, the gate installed and the chain link zip-tied on two sides. I hope to have the rest finished this afternoon.


Lesson Learned...make sure all of the sand from the beach is dumped out of one's hiking shoes before one goes off for several hours of hiking. I am now sporting some blisters and a few micro-abrasions on the bottom of some of my toes, and they are painful. I am keeping an eye on them (not literally, as to really get a good view of these boo-boos I have to do contortions and twist my foot around, so placing an eyeball on them would be, well, prohibitive). I have been soaking them several times a day in sea salt water, air drying and applying salve. But I look really stoopid when I walk. Which, as you know is OFTEN. No dog walks today though, and that is good.

Secondly, Lux came through her surgery well. They did an extra procedure to remove her Dew Claws (those longish dangly extra claws on the hind legs) as we do lots of hiking and there is a chance they could get caught and tear. She was already under and they called to ask about it, so I went ahead with it. This did mean extra anesthesia, though, and she was beyond wobbly and dopey when I picked her up. She slept pretty well until 2 AM then was whimpering awfully, poor thing. I took her out for a piddle and got her to eat a little bit of food, and munch on some chicken broth ice cubes since she would not touch her water. She is in a fair amount of discomfort, but relatively calm. So far no chewing at sutures, so she does not have to wear that huge collar thingie. As she heals, though, it will get itchy and chewing is likely to start occuring after a few days. I think it would be funny to wear a lampshade on my head in solidarity if she does start having to wear it. Wouldn't that be hysterical???

After a crazy day like yesterday, with multiple trips to Staples (why does the printer ink cartridge ALWAYS run out HALFWAY through printing 40 pages of tax forms???)(and why does the woman who printed 20 pages**for FREE on tax day** decide to MIX UP THE COPIES AND FORMS?????), multiple trips to banks to rearrange funds to cover the nearly $10 K in tax checks, trips to the vet, trips to the art supply store for kid projects, three dog walks, partial assembling of an 8x8 chain link kennel which arrived yesterday, and getting up at 2AM I was REALLY looking forward to a quiet day at home. NOT SO FAST, GRASSHOPPER! As usual, whenever I schedule a quiet day off, there is a large chance that one of my kids will be home sick. Yep. Happened today, too. They are heading off to Texas Friday for a few days with cousins, and I don't want her to miss that or fly with a stuffy head (considering her propensity for vertigo etc.) so, um, yeah, she is home for the day. Chances are she will sleep most of the day, though, so she won't require much attention until later in the afternoon.

I have Keen Stuff for you, really I do. I will post more later today when the proverbial dust settles. Now, I have to head out the door to take the healthy kid to school and return some keys to work.

*waddles off*
ow.ow.ow.ow.ow...