Photobucket

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Getting Ready

Image by Me

Needless to say, things here have been busy in preparation for Peyton's arrival. Leashes, collars and toys have been purchased, and today after school we are going to go pick up her crate and bed. I have been doing some research on training styles, and I am going to spend some time with the MSPCA trainer today talking about clicker training and field training. It is imperative that my dog learns to stop on a dime and return to me when called in the field and woods. One should start things early with puppies, and a transition into a new home is the best time to start setting the rules and boundaries so she learns consistency.

I have been spending extra time with the kitties, feeling a bit sad that our alone time is changing. It feels sorta like when you are expecting a second child, when you have those moments of wanting to freeze the moment for a bit before the big change comes along. I do know that my kitties did well with Emma when she stayed here for a week, and by the end Suki, the more shy of the two, was sleeping on the same bed with us. I am not overly concerned.

I am also going to check into the Aintree Kennel in the neighboring town of Boxford. Many of my doggy clients use them for extended stays and ADORE them. I am departing for Pittsburgh at the end of the month for 5 days, and I want Peyton to be happy and safe. The other option, of course, is to hire one of my co-workers to either stay here or have Peyton go to them. I am so lucky to have 12 wonderful dog loving people as resources.




image from http://info.detnews.com

I enjoyed watching Anthony Bourdain last night, tearing up Cleveland, Ohio, with his buddy Michael Ruhlman (another one of my favorites). Having grown up in Pittsburgh, seeing the familiar pseudo-midwest mill towns was fun and comforting. That said, piles of stuffed cabbage and polish food, cinnamon laden chili and sandwiches with cole slaw, do not push my Yummy buttons. But, I groove on playful competition between chefs, and liked seeing Ruhlman get his butt kicked in various ways. Tony still rules the roost, as a travel entertainer in my book. I have thoroughly enjoyed Ruhlman's writing, though. It is an entirely different style than Tony's, and I find it accessible and generally less snarky that Tony's. That said, if I had to be stuck on an island with one of them, hands down, Tony wins.

Here is a link to Michael's blog: http://blog.ruhlman.com/
Here is a link to Google book search for Michael: Google books

Okay, so onto some cool things...be prepared to be entertained mightily:


Your Daily Dose of Cool Things:





Meow. Thwap!



This movie is really interesting, albeit a bit long. If you have ever been curious about how they make player pianos work, go click on this movie.

Your Daily Dose of Wonderful Design:









Your Daily Dose of Inspiring Words:

Image by Oliver Phelps Smith

"If the world is to be healed through human efforts, I am convinced it will be by ordinary people, people whose love for this life is even greater than their fear. People who can open to the web of life that called us into being, and who can rest in the vitality of that larger body"- Joanna Macy

Your Daily Dose of Wicked-Good Food:



Baked Apples with Coriander Crust

Two organic Granny Smith apples
1 lemon
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup Earth Balance spread or similar (plus extra pats for top)
1 1/3 cup AP flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons ice cold water

In a metal bowl place the flour, salt, sugar coriander, and "butter". Using a wire whisk, pounce upon the butter, quickly pushing up and down on it, incorporating the flour into it, until it resembles a coarse meal. Add the cold water by spoonfuls, mixing with a spoon or your hand, until the mass forms a loose ball. Turn the ball out onto a floured surface and gently PUSH the dough on all sides, forming a thick disk. Wrap in plastic wrap (or better still, waxed paper), and put in fridge for about an hour.

Cut the dough in half and roll each out until 1/4 inch thick.

Peel and core the apples. Rub them with lemon juice and place each on a crust circle. Gently push and form the dough around each apple.

Pour the maple syrup, into the hole in the apple and sprinkle with cinnamon. Add walnuts and/or raisins (optional) Top with a pat of butter.

I sprinkle the tops of mine with grated lemon and casting sugar.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.