Photobucket

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Jack Frost, Harbinger of a Nor'Easter
























Images by Me-Frost this morning on my walk with Emma.

We are expecting up to 16 inches of snow tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That means tea, and shoveling, and baking, and snuggling and, and, and...oh! I can't wait!!!!

My weekend has been filled to the brim with doggie goodness by the name of Emma. If I can get her to sit still for a minute when I stand up (she thinks every time I get up it is time to go out for a stroll in the woods!) I will snap a few frames of her sweetness.

(update: here they are!)










































Images by Me

I am doggie sitting her for the weekend. My cats have been really good with her, and she with them. In fact, the most shy of the two, Suki, actually slept on the same bed with us. There is something really nice about having a medium sized dog at the foot of the bed, sighing in comfort, keeping my toes warm.

Yesterday we went for a long hike in the woods. We were both so very, very happy.

Emma is a perfect mix of two breeds, as far as I can surmise. From her musculature and bone structure I gather she is half black lab, half brindle greyhound. High and narrow hips, lean waist, large narrow rib cage, lab head, brindle splotches on black fur. She also shakes when she is startled or afraid, a typical greyhound behavior. She listens, she behaves, she is loving and funny and very smart.

She does NOT like green beans.

She thinks I am Cool. So, I guess I am her Cool Thing this weekend. And she is mine. But, that probably does not register as cool for you, so here you go:

Your Daily Dose of Cool Things:

I watched a few movies this weekend. This was the first. I highly recommend this. Yeah, it is a bit long, but I thought it well worth the time. This is the type of film I wanted to produce for Abilty Trek someday. Perhaps some day I will find another venue for a film, but in the meantime, how cool is it that these guys crossed the United States ON A SEGWAY?!!

























Do you like kaleidoscopes? I do!
click on the image below and have a good time.



Your Daily Dose of Wonderful Design:













Wall Pops




















Mitchell Gold+Bob Williams

These guys have gorgeous stuff on their site. Go visit. Really. Simple, clean, understated and elegant. Just lovely!


Your Daily Inspiring Words:



















Until we take how we see ourselves (and how we see others) into account, we will be unable to understand how others see and feel about themselves and their world. Unaware, we will project our intentions on their behavior and call ourselves objective.
-Stephen Covey author of The 7 Habits of HIghly Effective People.

Your Daily Dose of Wicked-Good Food:




















Shaker Lemon Tart (I confess this is from Martha Stewart)

Makes seven 4 1/2-inch tarts or one large tart

  • 2 large lemons, (about 7 ounces each)
  • 2 cups sugar
  • Pie Dough
  • All-purpose flour, for work surface
  • 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
Directions:
  1. Cut lemons crosswise into paper-thin rounds using a mandoline or a very sharp knife; discard ends and seeds. Place lemon slices in a medium nonreactive bowl, and add sugar; toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap, and let stand at room temperature overnight.
  2. Roll out dough on a lightly floured work surface to 1/8 inch thick. Cut dough into seven 6-inch rounds. Fit rounds into 4 1/2-inch round tart pans with removable bottoms. Trim edges flush with tops. Place on a rimmed baking sheet; freeze until firm, 30 minutes or overnight.
  3. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. with rack in lower third. Add eggs to lemon mixture, and stir to combine. Pour through a fine sieve into a medium bowl. Divide liquid among tart shells, then top with the lemon slices, arranging decoratively.
  4. Bake tarts on baking sheet 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees. bake until filling is set and beginning to brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool on sheet on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove tarts from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.