Photobucket

Monday, January 7, 2008

Back in the Swing of Things














Last week the formal return to a regular schedule began. Wednesday felt like Monday. Friday felt like Wednesday. But at least the kids were back at school, my work schedule fell back to semi-normalcy, and the weekend was grand. I met a wonderful puppy this weekend, a tiny fluff ball of a thing. She was heartily intrepid, all, what, 10 pounds of her, bouncing off of hills of snow, jumping up ledges, running in the slush. So cute! I met and made some new friends this weekend, too. Looks like this is going to be a great year!

Your Daily Dose of Cool Things:


Amai Tea and Bake House
If you are in the mood for some seriously interesting yummies, check out this site. Using fabulously diverse flavors such as Lychee, Mandarin, Peach and Cherry Blossom, these treats are rich and complex in flavor.
(Image via Outblush.com)
















Amazing Wing Suit
I don't know about you, but I dream about flying pretty frequently. And, for the most part, it *feels* like this looks. If I had another one of me (oh, how I wish) I would do this. But, I don't. So, I guess I am earthbound. *sigh*


Your Daily Dose of Wonderful Design:

















Zoinks!, Scooby! What a Potty! Vinyl Decals for the Loo!















Little Paper Planes
What a great find! Really fun designs for accessories, papers, clothing and much more. Little Paper Planes is a fun place to browse and buy. I love the vintage look of the work there, the subtle colors, the dear prints as well as the more dynamic and modern art.

Your Daily Dose of Inspiring Words:
























"
…there is nothing like a wilderness journey for rekindling the fires of life. Simplicity is part of it. Cutting the cackle. Transportation reduced to leg – or arm – power, eating irons to one spoon. Such simplicity, together with sweat and silence, amplify the rhythms of any long journey, especially through unknown, untattered territory. And in the end such a journey can restore an understanding of how insignificant you are --- and thereby set you free.”
-- Colin Fletcher from “River”


Your Daily Dose of Wicked-Good Food:

Chicken Tenderloins with Butternut Squash Puree



























1 pound Chiken Tenderloin (chicken finger/stir fry cut)
2 Tablespoons Olive oil
2 cups butternut squash puree (use canned pumpkin in you must)
1/4 cream
fresh tarragon
salt
pepper
nutmeg

I usually have a squash cooked and ready to go in my fridge. It is one thing my kids will always eat and it can go sweet or savory into many dishes. I just scooped out the flesh for this dish, simple, rich and lightly sweet. First I cooked the chicken strips in olive oil till browned. I added the squash to warm it up. Take out the chicken and place it on a plate while you work up the sauce. After the squash has warmed through and carmelized a little bit, stir in 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon (dried if you must) and the cream. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add a dash of nutmeg. Plate the chicken on top of the puree. Simple. Yummy. Winter comfort food. Lots of vitamins, too!