Photobucket

Monday, December 24, 2007

Ever Close

Photobucket
Image by Me- Barn Series

Time keeps plodding along. Each second brings us closer to Christmas morning. I think I get most excited when I think of the little children I know waking up to the magic. I know the holiday has become a consumerist wave, out of control, but for the good moments, I do feel the joy and wonder I had as a child on Christmas morning. I imagine it for everyone. And I send it to you all.

Your Daily dose of Cool Things:



Little Pink Toolkit

Portions of the proceeds from the sale of this toolkit go to Breast Cancer Charity. Chances are you won't see the testosterone laden Craftsman kits do that, eh?


What's This? Chocolate Hedgehogs?


Awwwwwww!
Okay, this hits the Major Die of Kyoot button for me. Though the thought of biting off one of their perty little heads is a bit, well, discomforting.

Your Daily Wonderful Design:



Retro Phones!!!

I have always loved these phones. My grandmother had a phone table with a comfy chair and a lamp and a honkin' phone like this in black. My Dad had one at his house, too, and it was a party line. I still remember telling the operator who I wanted to connect to. And, no, I am not ancient. I am a well preserved 48. I have references to prove it too, should you need them.




Making Sense of Macel Duchamp

I suppose this fits under the category of design for two reasons. First, the site is exquistely designed. My first impression was that this was some seriously sexy flash design work. Flash design on websites can be an utter mess of over-done. I found this to be really well put together. Second, well, Duchamp himself is a bastion of design goodness, too. So consider yourself twice blessed with this one, m'kay?

Your Daily Inspiring Words:

Photobucket
Image by Me

"This is the true joy of Life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one - the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.” - George Bernard Shaw in Man and Superman

Your Daily Wicked-Good Food:


Image by Me

Spiced Nut Treat

preheat oven to 375 degrees

1 12 oz bag of walnuts or walnut pieces
1 12 oz bag of pecans (go with the whole ones here. You will be glad you did)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 stick of butter (organic, please)
2 cups of light brown sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
Garam Masala to taste (I usually use about 2-3 tablespoons) I use my own mix, but I have found that The Spice Hunter brand to be quite good. You may also add cayenne if you prefer a more spicy nut. Ahem.

Make sure you use a large pan for this, or do it in two batches.

Melt the butter in a skillet. Add the brown sugar and stir frequently as it bubbles and begins to melt the sugar. Be sure to not let this burn or it will be bitter. Add the spices. Then add the cider and stir until the mix becomes glossy, about a minute or two. Add the nuts and toss, being sure to coat them well. Turn out the nutz onto a well oiled cookie sheet or baking pan and put thm into the oven for about 20-30 minutes, stirring every 5 mins or so. They may SEEM soft but they will harden as the sugar cools and get more crispy. Be careful not to over cook these, or they will get nasty and bitter.

I packaged mine in small cellophane bags with a shiny twist tie. Each bag held about a half cup of goodies. Just enough for someone to snarf up without feeling TOO guilty.


Finally, a very Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday to all of my readers! I wish you only the best for the New Year. Yes, all of you.

Photobucket
Image and sculptures by Me