Photobucket

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

"Make it a Good Day" Monday...ah, I mean Tuesday.





Already stoked with 25 mins of full spectrum light, one serious cup of coffee and a handful of almonds, I am looking at the ice on the trees ablaze with morning sun. Granted, I don't live in Middle America, where said ice has brought down trees, caused a great deal of damage and is making life miserable. For me, from my vantage point of a cozy couch, it all looks so magical.
Speaking of magical, pull on up to the Keen window, please. Major Coolness ensues:

Your Daily Cool Things:


Call it the spirit of the season. For more than three hours Tuesday, drive-through customers at the Starbucks on Bloomington’s east side didn’t pay for the coffee they ordered.

Rather, as each customer reached the drive-through window, he or she was told the order had been paid by the driver who had just pulled away.

By the time it was over, about 142 people had spread the Christmas spirit.

I am consistently drawn to portrait photographers and their work. Perhaps it stems from an early childhood introduction to portrait photography, or my love of facial expression, and my desire to hone my craft. When I saw the work of this man I was simply and utterly stunned. I also believe in his cause of speaking the voice of indigenous cultures. Take a look. Wow.

Phil Borges

"Spurred by the rapid disappearance of the world's indigenous peoples and their oral traditions, Phil Borges abandoned his dentistry practice to pursue his first love, photography. For the past 25 years, he has traveled to the farthest reaches of the globe to meet with persecuted Tibetan monks engaged in nonviolent struggle and embattled tribespeople of the Ecuadorian Amazon who must defend their way of life by any means necessary. Through interviews and portraiture, Borges documents his subjects and their tribulations with dignity, and conveys their rarely heard stories."

Your Daily wonderful Design:



Sewer Cover Rugs


Your Daily Inspiring Words:

"I don't know whether my life has been a success or a failure. But not having any anxiety about becoming one instead of the other, and just taking things as they come along, I've had a lot of extra time to enjoy life." - Harpo Marx -


Your Daily Wicked-Good Food:

Pomegranate Reduction Sauce

4 cups POM juice (or any other pomegranate juice of choice)
4 Tablespoons honey (you may also use molasses for a deeper, darker sauce)
1 Tablespoon sherry
1 bay leaf
4 Tablespoons olive oil
Skin from one apple (the pectin from this is a thickening agent, more flavorful than corn starch and requires much less energy and processing too!)

Simmer all the ingredients in a pan until reduced by half. Strain before using.

You may also add chopped shallots or slivers of garlic for a more savory sauce. Rosemary or other fresh herbs are also a nice touch, especially with lamb.