Photobucket

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

My cats love the plastic...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

So, I put plastic over the windows in my living room the other day. My cats are endlessly fascinated. So are their claws, which they tell me work *totally* independently from the rest of their bodies. I now have lovely holes in each window, both bottom corners. Perhaps if I chased them around with the hairdryer on high when I fix the windows they will have a more healthy respect for my endeavors. To placate my frustration, I decided to go Web Hunting for more cool things. I told them it was like their Invisible Mouse Chase around the house. Fun. Clean. And very, very Cool.

******************************************************************************************

Your Daily Cool Things:



PlantLove lipstick











"Trendy new PlantLove lipstick is making its mark in the beauty world for its revolutionary new environmentally friendly packaging. The tube is made from corn, a renewable resource which is biodegradable, as well as the flower paper packing (which produces blooms when planted). The lipstick itself contains no mineral oils or petroleum, and the botanical formula is kind to lips." I don't wear much makeup. But if I did I would certainly consider this product above other, less Green, products. Sephora carries this brand now. It would make a great stocking stuffer!



Indigo Arts:Baskets made from discarded telephone wire

"For centuries South Africa's Zulu people have been famous for the sturdy and beautiful baskets they weave from grasses and palm leaf. The weaving was so tight that the best ukhamba baskets were actually used to store beer! Today these baskets are still woven in the countryside, but the Zulus living in urban area have invented a new kind of basket, the imbenge basket woven entirely of recycled telephone wire."



I remember finding wads of this wire next to electrical boxes when I was a kid. I was thrilled to take them home and make little rings from it. If only I had the skills to do this!!!



Your Daily Wonderful Design:



Recycled Paper Vase


I just love seeing recycled products used in great design. I think the Flying Spaghetti Monster would approve, too.








******************************************************************************************

Your Daily Inspiring Words:

"We cannot elect a man to office who is afraid of premature evacuation"- Jane Fonda on The Colbert Report (sitting on Colbert's lap, no less)

******************************************************************************************

Your Daily Wicked-Good Food:



Candied Clementine Peel:

1 lb clementines (about 5-6)
1/2 tsp. Salt
3 cups granulated sugar
1 /12 cups water
vegetable oil spray




Quarter the clementines with a knife and peel carefully. Eat the yummy inside part. Place the peels in a pan of cold water (3 cups) the salt. Bring to a boil and continue uncovered for about 10 minutes. This releases some of the oils, and makes the peels less bitter. Rinse the peels. Slice the peels into thin strips.



Bring 2 cups sugar and 1 1/2 cup water to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Add the peels. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. You may need more if the skins are thick, up to an hour. The peels should be soft and translucent, and the syrup thickened.





Transfer the candied peels (I used chopsticks) to an oiled rack set in a shallow baking pan, or over wax paper. Spray the wax paper with the oil, too, so any slices that try to make a run for it won't stick.

After about 20 minutes of cooling, place the peels into a bowl with the remaining cup of sugar and rub them so that the sugar is distributed all over the peels, This will keep them from sticking. Now you can eat them!



If you are giving these as a gift, pack them in more sugar in a tin, or a suitable container. Peels will keep for several weeks.

Added bonus: Put a candied peel in the bottom of your coffee cup. Oh. So. Gooood!