Photobucket

Friday, February 1, 2008

Day by Day

Photobucket
Image by Me

I am happy the weekend is finally here. And, even though I am not a total sports nut, I will be watching some of the Big Game this weekend, cheering on the Patriots against the Giants. I think some tasty food is in order, too.

Yesterday was yet another adventure in Finding the Teen her Prom Dress. This is a weird, weird thing, I tell you. I truly dislike shopping for clothes. And, to be looking at skimpy dresses with price tags of over 200 dollars makes me choke. Beads and Sequins freak me out. Unless it is on someone from Cirque du Soliel. Or maybe Jessica Biel. Shop after shop after shop...and most of them have these ancient women with pounds of foundation, boofy hair and black clothes clucking "Oh! Its GORGEOUS!!! I have never seen it look BETTER on anyone!!! Edna. Edna! Come look at this beauty! Would you look at that! Stunning! You look like a princess!!" Lather, rinse, repeat 30 times. It is like being stuck in Cinderella's closet, too. Big Dresses for pagents and weddings. Row after row after row. Pink, green, blue, red, brown, yellow.

Someone get me a gun.

I mention this because prom comes RIGHT at tax time. So, apparently does the payment for SAT test prep classes (450.00 dollars). Said teen's birthday is tomorrow, too. And I just found out that someone's direct deposit in to my account made a duplicate payment LAST YEAR in January and that person wants their $1,500 dollars NOW. Oh! And the car repair?

I promise I will be back to my cheery self next week. Even the Truly Keen deserve to have an Off Week. Bah.

Daily Dose of Cool Things:

Really Cool Musical Instrument


Mandala Soaps

Your Daily Dose of Wonderful Design:

The Temples of Damanhur

I saw a segment on Good Morning America this week on this and was blown away. Underground, exquisite, and very spiritual. Apparently all of the work was done by hand, and from the looks of it the results are breathtaking. What a great trip this would be?! Ohm!

Your Daily Dose of Inspiring Words:



Photobucket
Image by Me

The only place ever to work is right now. We work with the present situation rather than a hypothetical possibility of what could be. I like any teaching that encourages us to be with ourselves and our situation as it is without looking for alternatives. The source of all wakefulness, the source of all kindness and compassion, the source of all wisdom, is in each second of time. Anything that has us looking ahead is missing the point. - Pema Chodron

Your Daily Dose of Wicked-Good Food:


Image by Me: cheese, crackers and hot pepper jelly

Hot Red Pepper Jelly (It's not really that hot)

Ingredients:

  • 4 large red bell peppers
  • 4 tablespoons crushed dried red pepper
  • 7 cups sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
  • 2 bottles liquid pectin, (6 oz each)
In a food processor or blender add the peppers, vinegar and sugar and pulse until finely chopped. Place in a pot and bring to a full boil; reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes. Add pectin. Stir well. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat; reduce heat and boil 1 minute. Remove from heat and pour mixture into hot dry, sterilized half-pint jars, leaving a scant 1/4-inch head space. If you plan on saving this for a while, place the jars in a hot water bath for 15 minutes for a vacuum seal. I find that I give away most of the jars and rip through the few I have rather quickly, so I just store them in the fridge. You may reduce the ingredients by 1/4 for smaller batches.

Makes 8 pints