Photobucket

Monday, January 21, 2008

Compassionate Monday

Image by Me, chosen in remembrance of Martin Luther King, Jr.


Another cold weekend here in Boston. I was fortunate to dine at Betty's Wok and Noodle Diner on Huntington Ave in Boston. Giddy was I. Thrilled and rather enraptured with the decor, the food, the company and the people watching. I saw no less than 6 full length mink coats among the diners, many of whom were girding their loins for the theatre or symphony, which are located blocks away. At Betty's you choose what style of noodle you desire, and what sauce among several (I chose the Red Thai and Coconut milk). Next you choose the protein (I chose chicken) and then you may go pick your veggies from the veggie bar and leave them for the chefs to stir fry. Your huge bowl, really, the size of a generous moon crater, arrives, steamy and teaming with goodness. I ate until I heard my sinuses filling with the broth and decided that if I ate any more I would have to sleep standing up to prevent nasal leakage. I loved it so much that when I went grocery shopping yesterday I got bok choy and soba noodles and other yummies to replicate the meal for today. If you live in Boston, or within a 50 mile radius, go to Betty's, and tell the waitress that Julia, from Keen Things sent you. She will look at you quizzically and seat you anyway, cause she wants your money.

Your Daily Dose of Cool Things:

Oh, say, Mr. Science, lookie here!

Amethyst, a microscopic view

Microscopic Backgrounds
Birthstones under the Scope



So you like Gum, eh?

Italian artist Maurizio Savini has distinguished himself by using a very unusual material for his sculptures: pink chewing gum. Here are some of his works.


Your Daily Dose of Wonderful Design:


Sprout Bowls by viva Terra:
A pattern of newly sprouted legumes defines the design of these large airy bowls. Brass-welded and made from re-crafted metal, they blend classical elegance and contemporary style into functional sculpture. Used as centerpieces to display collections or as servers, the interlacing sprouts evoke the beauty of nature in form and texture.

Your Daily Dose of Inspiring Words:

Image by Me "I refuse to live a perfunctory life."- Me


Your Daily Dose of Wicked-Good Food:


Mini "pizza" appetizer

Ingredients:

(for the four pieces pictured-multiply ingredients as needed)

2 pieces whole grain bread
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic

1 Italian plum tomato
four small slices of cheese (I use goat's milk cheddar or chevre)
olive tappanade (olive spread) or bruchetta
sprigs of fresh oregano

Toast the bread and cut out circles using a cookie cutter. Brush them with olive oil that has smashed garlic in it. Spread tappanade on the toasts. Cut tomato into circles and place one on each toast. Top with slice of cheese. Broil on High until the cheese melts and is bubbly. Top with fresh oregano.