Photobucket

Thursday, January 24, 2008

My addiction to Beauty

Looking back on some of my work over the past few years, I would have to say that this is one of my favorite portraits. The reasons are not apparent, though, because it has more to do with the alchemy between the child and the image. This girl's mother contacted me because her child was historically difficult to photograph. She had some neurological issues, and sitting for traditional shoots was nearly impossible. I went to their house and played with beanie babies on the floor in the kitchen for a long time. Bubbles were blown, and over time she opened up a bit. Of the nearly 200 images I shot this day, this was the "Ah HA!"one. When I go into a shoot with an idea of what I would like to capture and I find it evolving right before my eyes, it is sheer magic. In this case, because I could not use and flash or strobe as it could trigger seizure activity, I had to use available light, aka God's Softbox. In this one instant she leaned into a sun beam and stared me in the eyes, something infrequent for her. I live to shoot photographs that move me. This was a moment captured that I will never forget.

Your Daily Dose of Cool Things:

Keep Calm

Your Daily Dose of Wonderful Design:


Next Co.

I send you this link for more than one reason. I really enjoy Next and in particular their selection of clean and simple interior design offerings. Aside from that, though, I really groove on the layout of the pages on the site, and find myself enjoying messing around with the colors they offer. I find the above two images very appealing, calming and clear. I am working on a new website currently, and these two pages have given me much inspiration with regard to the color palette I will be using.




Your Daily Dose of Inspiring Words:


"It was one of those days when it's a minute away from snowing and there's this electricity in the air, you can almost hear it. And this bag was, like, dancing with me. Like a little kid begging me to play with it. For fifteen minutes. And that's the day I knew there was this entire life behind things, and... this incredibly benevolent force, that wanted me to know there was no reason to be afraid, ever. Video's a poor excuse, I know. But it helps me remember... and I need to remember... Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in. "- Ricky Fitts in American Beauty

Your Daily Dose of Wicked-Good Food:

Banana Bread


oven preheated at 350

4 overly ripe bananas
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 3/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 stick butter melted
2 eggs
pinch salt
cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
as always nuts optional

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
Whip up the eggs and add the vanilla, butter. Smash the bananas until they resemble a goopy mess. Add those to the wet ingredients. Combine the dry and wet ingredients. Pour into a greased baking pan. (I tend to use the 9x11 pan because I find that using the traditional loaf pans tends to result in a more doughy middle. One that even toasting just can't spackle. BAke for 30 mins. or until a knife comes out clean when inserted in center of bread.

Oh, and frozen raspberries in January are almost as good as a hot tub in January.