Photobucket

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Mastheads, Music, and Much Goodness

A Most Avid Reader (M.A.R.) asked me about my past mastheads. So I am throwing this out there. Hard to believe it has only been three months now. I have readers all over the world! *waves enthusiastically in the direction of Europe and Eastern Asia* I am almost done designing February's masthead. Actually I have designed two, and I can't decide which one to go with quite yet. I guess it will be a surprise next week! I will give you a hint, though: Green.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



Your Daily Dose of Cool Things:

I would like to address something here that I am really pleased about. I call it the Softening of American advertising. Over the holidays, J.C. Penny used music from my beloved Weepies in their ad. I was so happy not to be yelled at, cajoled or spoken to in stupid ways. I have since heard a number TV ads using my favorite style of music, indie folk. Take a look at the ad using music from Peter Droge for Toyota. Hits the poignant button like crazy! I say this. KEEP GOING AMERICAN AD AGENCIES. I like it. Thus I lay at your feet:


The Weepies


Peter Dorge Toyota Ad


Old Navy


Landon Pigg-diamond commercial


Joshua Radin-Mothers Day JC Penney





Um, say WHAT?



Monkey Picked Tea???


I suppose this is far better than coffee beans plucked from civet poo...




Your Daily Dose of Wonderful Design:

Green Depot

And, ironically, located ON Green Depot Lane in the UK:

Element 7
I mention this site for more than one reason. First, it is a really slick site computer design wise. It uses a muted and "different" color palette, something I believe in deeply. It uses photography well to portray the products and the site is really pleasing to my eye. Secondly, the stuff they sell is really nice. Really. Nice. Wood. Mmmmmm.....wood!

Your Daily dose of Inspiring Words:


“Love is the ability and willingness to allow those that you care for to be what they choose for themselves without any insistence that they satisfy you.”-Wayne Dyer

Your Daily Dose of Wicked-Good Food:

Yummy Eggs atop stuffing



2 cups stuffing cubes
1 tablespoon butter or oil
1/4 cup diced onion
1/4 cup diced red pepper
1/2 cup broth
2 eggs
grated cheese
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Cook the onions and peppers in the butter/oil until translucent. Add the stuffing cubes and stir well. Add the broth and stir more. turn off the heat and let that sit for a few minutes to absorb. Grease a baking dish and place the stuffing mixture on the bottom. Crack the eggs and place them over the stuffing. Sprinkle the cheese on top. Place in the oven for about 12 minutes or until the eggs appear to be cooked to your liking.