Photobucket

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Words

Condensation


I have been struggling with some internal stuff this week. Mostly finding myself with a serious lack of direction, which is troublesome for me. I know that just letting things sit for a while is a wholesome experience, one from which new sprouts can issue forth, but I am finding myself with little passion for anything other than sitting in the shade and reading. I am currently re-reading "Out of Africa" and "Shadows on the Grass" by Isak Dinesen. The descriptive nature of this novel sends me straight to the African Plains, to the coffee fields, and to the innermost workings of the tribal communities about which she writes. It takes me far away. And that is a good thing.

I feel stuck here in this life, this area, this time of my life. Work is somewhat slow right now, and I have only one or two people with whom I share friendship on a consistent basis. It is that time of summer when the kids are restless, bored and quarrelsome (imagine 2 cats on crack in a paper bag). I spend a great deal of time thinking, finding out who I am, what I truly feel about things, and I struggle to take the energy to push it out into the world, finding myself quiet and introspective more than not.

I tell myself that it is okay, fine and good to be so, and yet there is a voice inside me that speaks of wanting to be a part of something bigger than myself. I long for inspiring connections, creative endeavors and lazy dinners with friends, chatting over glasses of wine and good food. These summer evenings, my dog and I retire to the bed with books and music and our comfortable solitude. It is where I am right now. And, mostly, it is where I am most at ease. But, still, something calls...



Your Daily Dose of Cool Things:


I spend a great deal of time with words. I read them. I write them. I think them. I think it is fun to see a visual representation of things, my words from this blog, for example. I think I shall use the word catawamptious here, just to see it on my next Wordle word map. Go visit this site and plug in any words or website from which you wish to have them make a cool word balloon for you, too.


Your Daily Dose of Wonderful Design:

Click Here for Dripstick: a keen place to visit for art and stuff for the walls



Click Here for the fabulous work of Helen Amy Murray


Your Daily Dose of Inspiring Words:

Any kind of expectation creates a problem. We should accept, but not expect. Whatever comes, accept it. Whatever goes, accept it. The immediate benefit is that your mind is always peaceful. -Sri Swami Satchidananda


Your Daily Dose of Wicked-Good Food:

Creamy Potato and Leek Soup
serves 4

6 medium potatoes (I used Whites from PEI)
2 Leeks
3 cups organic whole milk
3 cups organic chicken broth
salt
pepper
1 cup shredded cheese ( I used organic muenster/cheddar)
1/3 cup oil (I used organic olive oil)

Cut the potatoes in to chunks and bring to a boil in a large pot. Simmer until fork tender. Mash using a hand masher. Clean and cut the leeks into 1/4 inch pieces and cook in oil until tender. Add to the potatoes. Add the milk and broth. Season to taste. Bring this mixture to a simmer and add the grated cheese stirring constantly. Allow this to cool a bit then transfer in batches to a blender and blend until mostly smooth. This soup is great hot or at room temperature. Garnish with additional cheese and paprika.