Photobucket

Monday, August 11, 2008

Still Raining...

Photobucket

I feel like a Mole. After watching PBS' Masterpiece Theatre rendition of "Wind in the Willows", which was FABULOOOOOOSE!, I have decided that all this dark and damp has made me into a mole. That would explain my need to burrow, my solitary nature these days and my desire to eat gummy worms.

Actually, what is keeping me most alive is Vitamin O: Olympics. I think what strikes me most, is that glimmering feeling called Hope. I am thrilled to watch Childhood Dreams being fulfilled. I love that moment before the event starts when All is Possible. I have watched fencing, cycling, weight lifting, swimming, skeet, some gymnastics, water polo, soccer, and a few more. I have three channels programmed, all on Olympics. I have been high on the opening ceremony for days. Such eye candy!!! Totally Keen!

Your Daily Dose of Cool Things:



As marketing goes, this is a pretty cool campaign. Have you been to Kohls? Well, if I were to describe it I would certainly not use the words Cool or Keen, per se. Sure, they have some basic things, but for the most part, their sense of style is what I would call Conservative Mid-West. Lots of pastels, large patterns, polo shirts, khakis, and some tacky bling. It is a great place to go for sales on undergarments, foundation wear, socks and purses. I think this campaign is quite a turnaround for this company, and I have not yet seen the new fashion line they mention, but I hope, for their sake, that they deliver on the promise of this ad. Frankly, I think it is hella-cool. Certainly not MY demographic, but maybe my kids will finally find something other than Abercrombie to satisfy their consumptive urges.


Your Daily Dose of Wonderful Design:


Click Here to learn more about Echoage, a great site design and a Keen idea in kid's birthday bashes!

Your Daily Dose of Inspiring Words:

Photobucket

"Each breath you take is a breath of quality. All you have to do is realize that each breath you take ultimately reaches to the ends of the universe and helps uphold your world." from The Seth Materials December 12, 1978


Your Daily Dose of Wicked-Good Food:


Peach Jam

My neighbor at the end of the block has several different fruit trees, including peach. The tree is bursting with small, hard, spotted fruit. I gathered 8 of the peaches that had recently fallen, brought them home and made Very Yummy Jam.

8 small peaches, or 4 medium (unripe is preferable)
1/2 cup organic sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon corn starch

Peel the peaches and slice into small pieces. Place the peaches in a pot with the other ingredients and cook on medium until the fruit is tender. Use a potato masher to break up the fruit and simmer until the juices are totally rendered out, and add the corn starch. Move the whole mess into a blender, taking several batches if necessary. Blend until smooth and return to the pot to simmer for an additional 5 minutes until the corn starch is cooked through. Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. I guarantee you will not have it that long!

I serve mine on top of toast, or with yogurt, as seen above.