Photobucket

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Oy! Is it hot or what???



My daughter thought I had lost my mind last night when she saw me get into the shower with a t-shirt and undies still on. I have found that going to bed with wet shirt and underthings with a fan in the window is precisely the right combo for a good night sleep in this wretched heat. I have 2 small AC units, but with stitches in my hand I am unable to lift heavy objects currently. The girls are camping out downstairs in various nests with the box fans, and it is actually bearable down here. Upstairs, one must don the wet clothing, which is actually better than going it nude. The evaporation of the water from the shirt et al is really quite delightfully cooling and I fell asleep immediately.

Yesterday was mostly torpor. I hiked with Lux and Lisa, Bomber and Bailey for a while, then ran into Lux's friend, Grace, who is half Beagle half Whippet, small and fast, and those 2 romped about while I walked along and dropped sweat.

I had a lunchtime meeting with client and then headed to the hardware store for another box fan. I KNOW I had another one somewhere but I cannot find it. It must have gone to Lostralia with the socks and teaspoons or something. I am using the new one to pull the cool air up from the basement. I would lay myself right down on the concrete floor down there if I could. It has been a bit musty of late so I cranked the dehumidifier to HIGH, and I am dumping the bucket two times a day, full to the brim.

I will say it right now...I am a bitch in the heat and humidity. I have little to no patience for this. I can stand the snow and the hail and the rain, but dammit, I hate summer heat with a passion. It is so NOT Keen.


Your Daily Dose of Cool Things:


Here is a shout out to my buddy Kevin in the mid-west, a woodworker of great talent! Is this door not the Keenest thing evar?????


Your Daily Dose of Inspiring Words:


"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. "- Leo Buscaglia

Your Daily Dose of Wicked-Good Food:

Cola Marinated Pork Ribs

2 pounds boneless "Chinese" pork ribs
1 can cola
2/3 cup marinara sauce/spaghetti sauce
1 clove garlic minced
1/2 cup honey
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
juice of 1 lemon
I used Hickory smoking chips for the grill (soak over night)

Place the meat in a ziplock bag or container and soak in the cola overnight. When you are ready to make the meal, reserve the liquid from this to make the sauce. Do the charcoal dance, or the propane waltz. Get that heat going. Toss in the hickory chips. For the sauce, bring the reserved cola marinade to a boil and allow to cook for several minutes. Reduce by half. Add the red sauce, honey, garlic, herbs and spices as well as the lemon juice. Continue to cook until thickened slightly. Place the meat on the grill and turn after 4 minutes. Baste the meat with the sauce often. Cook until done, usually an additional 7-10 minutes depending on the heat of your grill and the thickness of the cuts of meat. The sugars in the honey will caramelize. This is a really tasty BBQ!