Photobucket

Monday, February 4, 2008

Monday, Monday, Monday.

Image by Me: Foundlings Series 2008

Well, this weekend was just what I needed. Lots of rest, some fun visits with friends, and some great cooking. Saturday was slow and warm. It takes me about 2 hours to prepare a blog entry, so I spent that time in bed with the kitties and tea clicking about and thinking of salt. Then I went to my friend's house for lunch and a talk. The sun was pouring into her house and I sat in the sun beam for a good long time. I also got to cook a really tasty dinner for another friend, and in a way that I really enjoy. I call it Fridge Magic cooking. I looked about inside my fridge and came up with a recipe. It needs some tweaking in terms of presentation, and I did not have my camera with me to snap a shot of it, but I will re-work it and showcase it in the food section this week.

I got to watch one of my new favorite movies again, too. Thumbsucker is a deep and touching ride. Lots of metaphor about comfort and being who you are in this movie, as well as intricate relationships and some pretty glorious uprising. I hope you get to see it. Twice, even.

Last night it was me and a million people in the Church of the Pigskin. Amazing how 10 minutes can make a difference. The right team won, though. They were all over us like white on rice yesterday. And poor hottie, Tom Brady, got sacked at really inopportune times. For us, anyway. Awwwwwwww. Oh, well. 18-1 is nothing to scoff at. I suppose we can't expect world domination EVERY year, eh? And I bet I was not the only one with my jaw agape listening to Jordan Sparks make that anthem feel wonderfully different. She should sing at EVERY ball game.

This week's Sunday cooking was comprised of Pineapple bread, roasted butternut squash, chicken and roasted garlic sausage with a sauce of tomatoes and peppers and lots of toast. Mmmmmm...toast!


Your Daily Dose of Cool Things:




Sure they laughed at first. But they were not laughing after a few minutes. Culture fusion meets symphonic skills. If you grew up anywhere in the vicinity of the 70's this will impress you.

And, well, here is another mash up of style and time. Who's on First, Shakespearian style.



Another very cool video: When Grand Central Stood Still. 207 undercover "agents" pull off a performance piece by "freezing" at the same moment in Grand Central Station.




Your Daily Dose of Wonderful Design:

I loved spirographs as a kid. And I still tend toward repetitive and clean design, like mandalas. I suppose it is just visual crack for kids wired like me, but I spent way too many hours with my gears and pens in a blanket fort making love-notes for Keith Partridge and Davey Jones. *sigh*



Pianeta Sud Est

I don't like chasing things around with my mouse on a flash site much, but this site was well worth it. Wonderful line, color and design here. Well, except for the huge lips chair. That was just, well...Ew.

Your Daily Dose of Inspiring Words:


When the mind is no longer seeking, no longer breeding conflict through its wants and cravings, when it is silent with understanding, only then can the immeasurable come into being. ~J. Krishnamurti

Your Daily Dose of Wicked-Good Food:

Cacao Nibs

Cacao Nibs are roasted cocoa beans separated from their husks and broken into small bits. The flavor is intensely of chocolate, and not at all sweet. Nibs add lovely crunch to baked goods and other dishes and may be used instead of nuts or chocolate chips without adding sweetness. Ground, into cocoa powder, they may be used as an essential ingredinent in a classic mole sauce.

I roast my nibs (ahem) with my yerba mate tea leaves in an oven at 160 for about 20 minutes. It makes a wonderful addition to my tea in the morning, giving it a nutty chocolate flavor and rounding out the tannins. I also munch on a few of these nibs during the day. Great anti-oxidants!

I will work up the recipe for this weekends Lovely Dinner (Asian ravioli with chopped pork and ginger/miso sauce) and pop it into this section later this week. Have a Keen Day everyone!