Photobucket

Monday, March 16, 2009

Church and State

Photobucket


My neighborhood is embroiled in a huge battle. The Trinitarian Church, a block away from me is about to "host" a rather powerful cell tower. The town battle with residents has been ongoing, brutal, and very emotional for many, as this is an area of town near the mills which is being updated and re-purposed in great ways (like High Street Grill, my latest watering hole , 2 blocks away! read: "Can wobble home by foot") . This is bringing more people to our area.

This area also is filled with children.

And the church? It houses a pre-school.

There are signs all over the place. Yellow signs speaking of protection. Others, more evocative for me:

PLEASE DO NOT PUT A CELL TOWER 40 FEET FROM MY BABIES CRIB

Ow. Ow. Ow.

It is a difficult path to walk every morning. Reminders on every property, of the pending arrival of the cell tower. And, while a few voices do make a sound, in a sea of bureaucrats screaming drunk at the wheel, our siren song is drowned in the fury.

The upside, of course, is that I may have brain cancer in a few years, but, hell, for a while I had BITCHIN' reception on my gizmos.