Photobucket

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Thorns among Roses



I will have to admit that as I drove to Dunkin Donuts so my kid could snag an iced coffee before school yesterday, I was sitting in the car, beaming. Last week when I was at Mom's we were talking about my cynicism about the National Issues, and how for the last few months I have had this feeling in the pit of my stomach. For me, this whole financial mess has made me feel as if my "daddy" went off on a drinking spree and gambled away the family home.

Yesterday, for the first time in months, for me, it felt like someone kind, wise and responsible finally walked through the door.

So, when my daughter came back to the car she sat down and said that she had just witnessed a fist fight, and police had stormed in while she was getting her coffee. I was stunned. Apparently, one of the guys in line turned to the guy behind him and said:

"Well, I guess the price of watermelon went down overnight"

The next thing she knew there were screams of "Racist!!" and fists flying.

I am not a violent person, but I tell ya, I would have socked that asshat back, too.

One thing for sure, this election has made visible the bigots and racists who somehow felt that McCain and Palin gave them permission to voice their opinions more loudly. Which is fine, as we are Americans and all that, but, one should also remember that there are often consequences to opening one's fat mouth and spewing hate.

Unfortunately, hitting someone for that view is illegal.

Odd that in this day and age a young woman can be stoned to death in Africa for adultery on the same day that my teen witnesses a fight because a black man just became President Elect.

What a screwy world this is.

Thorns among roses. Hate springing forth from Victory.