Photobucket

Friday, August 29, 2008

My Morning


These are phone cam images from this morning. Top is the view to my right, bottom is view to my left. Lux and I had the most amazing hike this morning. As of yesterday I feel she is able to do some woods walks, so we went to our local woods yesterday and today we headed to the woods in a town nearby. This is the area where Lux and I played the Pine Cone game this Spring. We investigated all the nooks and crannies. She also swam quite a bit!

This particular part of the pond has a fairly deep drop off, allowing me to keep her on lead while still being deep enough for her to tread water. This is one of the very best rehabilitative activities for her at this point. She is re-learning her gait now, and the brain stops the chatter and the animal just goes directly into right,left, fore, aft, correctly in order to stay afloat. Plus, it is aerobic activity with no stress on her joints. One of the downsides to having a cast on and having limited mobility for 2 months has been that I have not been able to reinforce her Recall. She has not been having off-leash walks since her accident very often to have more control over her speed and her agility, so she does not re-injure her paw. She does not come back 100% of the time right now, and I am not willing to take any more risks with her off leash in the woods for a while. We will be doing some field training in a fenced in area soon, though. Then we can build up from there. I will say that being out in the woods at early morning with my dog has show me how very happy it makes me. I have dearly missed this. I mean really, look at all that beauty!


Your Daily Dose of Cool Things:

One of the down sides to eating mostly organic is the occasional Flour Moth infestation. Yesterday my local hardware store had a sale on canning jars of all sizes. I invested in two cases of them, and went through my cabinets, slaying and cleaning, recycling the boxes of things and putting everything in jars. I decided to fancy-up my jars with some froggy labels. Keen!


Your Daily Dose of Wonderful Design:

I seriously doubt I could come up with anything more inspiring than this for today. What a hell of a speech! Now THAT is charisma.

Your Daily Dose of Wicked-Good Food:

Blueberry Muffins

makes 18:pre-heat oven to 375 degrees

2 cups AP flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup agave nectar
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch salt
2 cups wild bloobs
2 eggs
1/3 cup oil
1 to 1 and 1/2 cups rice milk
(muffin cup liners optional)

Gently beat the eggs. Combine the dry ingredients and whisk to incorporate fully. Add eggs to dry mixture and then add the oil and the rice milk, the agave nectar and stir until well mixed but not overly so. Fold in the bloobs. Use an ice cream scoop for measuring out portions. It will likely fill 18 muffin cups. Bake approximately 12 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean upon removing. Not too sweet, these muffins make a great snack!