Photobucket

Friday, August 22, 2008

I got a letter!

A letter from Ben

I received a letter from my daughter's friend, Ben, who is in boot camp at Fort Bragg. It made my whole day, and it is only 9 am:

"I love you! It is so good to be able to talk with you again even via letter. I miss you three (me and my daughters) so much. I miss your yummy food and can't wait to eat it again. I don't have time to write a lot, otherwise I would write you 1000 million letters. You are the best second Mom ever..." Totally Keen.

It was his birthday the day after he wrote this, and for his birthday he got to sit in the gas chamber for a military drill. Totally Not Keen.


Your Daily Dose of Cool Things:

Click Here for The Smoke Portraits of Diane Victor


Your Daily Dose of Wonderful Design:

Keen floor coverings by Sandy Chilewich: Click Here


Your Daily Dose of Inspiring Words:


"Have patience with everything that remains unsolved in your heart. Try to love the questions themselves, like locked rooms and like books written in a foreign language. Do not now look for the answers. They cannot now be given to you because you could not live them. It is a question of experiencing everything. At present you need to live the question. Perhaps you will gradually, without even noticing it, find yourself experiencing the answer, some distant day." - Rainer Maria Rilke


Your Daily Dose of Wicked-Good Food:

I had this yummy wine last night while I was watching a show on Martial Arts on PBS. I love Washington state wines, in general. The cool temperatures and the fresh air lead to really well balanced wines, and this is no exception. Smooth, lightly oaky and bright flavors linger through the entire glass. Unlike some ten dollar chards which fall apart after a while in the glass, this holds true to the last drop. A very good choice for late summer dining. I made Japanese Udon noodles with clams and shrimp and this was a perfect pairing with it. Go get a bottle!