Photobucket

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Very Keen

The Keenest Mail of all time.


So, um, yeah...there have been some things going on for me that I was unable to express until this morning. Having gone through a cancer diagnosis with my ex boyfriend of 8 years, and knowing some dear friends who have gone through cancer and chemo etc, it has been a very stressful few weeks for me. I am breathing easier now. So, after spending more than 2 thousand dollars on heath care this year, all my tests have come back negative for cancer.

Big Relief.

Today is not going to be Torpor Tuesday, unfortunately. We are alreaady over 85 degrees with sun and high humidity. Lux is falt out in front of the fan, the kitties are in the cool basement, and I sit here in the dark, having put blankets up on the windows. I am glad we went hiking early this morning.

Today I start to work on a branding design and web site design for a new project for a client on foraging and wild harvesting. I am pleased to have been accepted as a founding member of a new organization which I will tell you more about later as things solidify. (I hope to be contributing content on a weekly basis, both copy, blog posting and images!) I am exited because this puts me in contact with people who think similarly to me with regard to this issue, and to Deep Ecology and the Environment. I am also looking forward to learning more about Paleo diets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet).

I am interested in finding some local farmers with organic fields from which I may forage, or from whom I may buy some field greens in bulk for my work. We try to buy local produce as often as possible, and it would be great to supplement the organic edible flowers we already get with some local clover flowers and nasturtiums. I will be looking into this next week some time as I nail down some of the CSA farmers and get more information. What a Keen Thing!
Your Daily Dose of Cool Things:

Click Here for Library of Congress photos from the 30's and 40's


Your Daily Dose of Wonderful Design:



Click Here to learn more about these cool chalkboard decals


Your Daily Dose of Inspiring Words:

"It is so hot and muggy these days, I am amazed that I am not growing mushrooms in my pants!!" - Me


Your Daily Dose of Wicked-Good Food:

Mango Popsicles!

I already have Popsicle forms, but if you don't you can use ice cube trays or small muffin tins. You can also order Popsicle molds online. They pay for themselves with the first batch.
I filled this batch with organic mango juice. You can use any juice you like, or even process up some fresh fruit with yogurt. I also make a carob and soy "fudgesicle" by processing silken tofu with maple syrup and carob powder until smooth. Great summer cooler!